There are plenty of health benefits that DARK CHOCOLATE caries in itself, that will for sure tempt you to bye a bar the next time you hit the grocery store. The catch is that you should be looking for cacao content up and above the 80% range!
Here are just some of the reasons why you should eat dark chocolate:
1. Dark chocolate is very nutritious
It contains a decent amount of soluble fiber and is loaded with minerals. A 100g bar with 70-85% cocoa contains:
- 11 grams of fiber
- 67% of the RDA for Iron
- 58% of the RDA for Magnesium (this can help alleviate PMS symptoms, including cramps, water retention, fatigue, depression and irritability)
- 89% of the RDA for Copper
- 98% of the RDA for Manganese
- It also has plenty of potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.
2. Dark Chocolate contains antioxidants
It contains flavonoids that are part of a group of antioxidants, the same type that are found in red wine, tea and various fruits and vegetables, that actually boosts the brain activity. They also help the walls of your blood vessels to relax, lowering blood pressure and improving circulation and blood flow to the skin, which helps the skin against the sun-induced damage.
3. Dark Chocolate is a natural aphrodisiac
It releases phenylethylamine, dopamine, and serotonin into the body, which produce aphrodisiac effects. So If you want to try chocolate as a natural aphrodisiac, give dark chocolate a try, cause it could improve your mood, increase your serotonin levels and give you a kick of caffeine.
4. Dark Chocolate keeps your heart healthy
It helps to keep the cholesterol down, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
5. Dark chocolate gives you healthier teeth
The sugar which is present in chocolate candies is the one that actually rots your teeth – the cocoa actually protects them. In a study of Indian children who hadn’t brushed in four days, a single rinse with a cocoa-based mouthwash reduced plaque by nearly 50% and killed 21% of bacteria.
And the last but not least … Dark Chocolate makes you happy. It contains a unique natural substance that improves mood and health-related quality of life!